The following list may help candidates who are preparing to take the AFP FP&A examinations. Please note that the readings are presented with these understandings:
- No reference list can span the entire range of material in the FP&A exams. As a result, the list is not a substitute for professional experience and education.
- It is not expected that exam takers will have read all the resources cited.
- The readings are intended as guidelines only. While many FP&A exam questions are based on these readings, many are developed from other materials of similar content.
- Many of these books are available for download or in a well stocked library. Those choosing to purchase reference materials are encouraged to do so selectively. Consider purchases that not only help in preparing to take the exam, but also serve as long lasting references for professional practice.
- When preparing for the FP&A exams, most candidates will identify areas of strength and those that need improvement. You may want to pay particular attention to those publications that would fill those gaps.
- To purchase any of the products below, please visit AFP’s FP&A Amazon Associates Store.
- To download a PDF of the suggested reference list click here.
Parts I and II
- Bolten, R., Painting with Numbers, 1st ed., 2012. Hooken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Bragg, S., Business Ratios and Formulas - A Comprehensive Guide, 3rd ed., 2012. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Brealey, R., Meyers, S., and Allen, F., Principles of Corporate Finance, 11th ed., 2013. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Brigham, E. & Ehrhardt, M., Financial Management: Theory & Practice, 14th ed., 2013. Mason, OH: South-Western.
- Higgins, R., Analysis for Financial Management, 10th ed., 2012. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. (Parts IA, IB, 2A, IIb, IIc
- Lee, A., Lee, J.,& Lee, C., Financial Analysis, Planning & Forecasting: Theory and Application, 2nd ed., 2009. Singapore: World Scientific.
- Shim, J. & Siegel, J., Financial Management, 3rd ed., 2008. Hauppage, NY: Barron's.
- Shim, J. & Siegel, J., Handbook of Financial Analysis, Forecasting, and Modeling, 3rd ed., 2007. Chicago, IL: CCH.
- Shim, J., Siegel, J., & Shim, A., Budgeting Basics and Beyond, 4th ed., 2011. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Subramanyam, K. & Wild, J., Financial Statement Analysis, 11th ed., 2013. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Tennent, J., Guide to Financial Management (The Economist), 1st ed., 2008. London: Profile Books.
- Wahlen, J., Baginski, S., & Bradshaw, M., Financial Reporting, Financial Statement Analysis and Valuation: A Strategic Perspective, 7th ed., 2010. Mason, OH: South-Western.
- Albrecht, W.S., Stice, E., Stice, J. & Swain, M., Accounting: Concepts and Applications, 11th ed, 2010. Mason, OH: South-Western.
- Axson, D., Best Practices in Planning and Performance Management: Radically Rethinking Management for a Volatile World, 3rd ed., 2010. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Horngren, C., Datar, S., & Rajan, M., Cost Accounting, A Managerial Emphasis, 14th ed., 2011. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- McConnell, C., Brue, S., & Flynn, S., Macroeconomics, 19th ed., 2011. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- McConnell, C., Brue, S., & Flynn, S., Microeconomics, 19th ed., 2012. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Preve, L. & Sarria-Allende, V., Working Capital Management, 1st ed., 2010. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Stern, C. & Stalk, G., The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives, 2nd ed., 2006. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Stringer, C. & Shantapriyan, P., Setting Perfomance Targets, 1st ed., 2011. New York, NY: Business Expert Press.
- Walker, G., Modern Competitive Strategy, 3rd ed., 2009. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Weil, R., Schipper, K., & Francis, J., Financial Accounting: An Introduction to Concepts, Methods and Uses, 14th ed., 2012. Mason, OH: South-Western.
- Zimmerman, J., Accounting for Decision Making and Control, 7th ed., 2010. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Boslaugh, S., Statistics in a Nutshell, 2nd ed., 2012. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly
- Carlberg, C., Business Analysis: Microsoft® Excel® 2010, 1st ed., 2010. Indiannapolis, IN: Que Publishing.
- Hoffner, J., Venkataraman, R. & Topi, H., Modern Database Management, 11th ed. 2012. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Levine, D., Stephan, D., & Szabat, K., Statistics for Managers Using Microsoft® Excel®, 7th ed., 2013. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Makridakis, S., Wheelwright, S. & Hyndman, R., Forecasting Methods and Applications, 3rd ed., 1997. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons.
- Tennent, J. & Friend, G., Guide to Business Modelling (The Economist), 3rd ed., 2011. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Walkenbach, J., Microsoft® Excel® 2010 Bible, 1st ed., 2010. Indianapolis, IN: John Wiley & Sons.
- Winston, W., Microsoft® Excel® 2010: Data Analysis and Business Modeling, 3rd ed., 2011. Redmond, WA: Microsoft Press