Now That You're Certified
Congratulations! You've worked hard to earn the Certified Corporate Financial Planning & Analysis Professional® credential and you deserve to let everyone know you've succeeded. Earning the FP&A credential was a significant investment in your career and your future. It took time, effort and dedication to earn this symbol of excellence that signifies that you have demonstrated the knowledge and skills required to perform competently in today's complex financial environment.
You've taken an important step in your professional development. Now leverage your certification and take advantage of the competitive edge that FP&A certification provides.
1. Always use FP&A after your name. Use it on:
- Business Cards
- Email Signature
- Resume (See below for sample language.)
- Corporate Photo ID
- Cover Letters
- Web Site
- Company Directories, Staff Listings
- Articles in Professional Publications
- Certificates, Diplomas, Name Plates, Badges
- Bios appearing on company web sites or in related print materials
Include a brief synopsis of what certification means, what is required to get the certification, and why it sets you apart from others in the profession on proposals for projects.
The FP&A is recognized as the industry standard for certification. Employers and customers will recognize and commend your new FP&A status.
2. Get LinkedIn. LinkedIn is a networking Web site that connects you to your professional relationships. The FP&A Group on LinkedIn is a group where you can connect with treasury and finance peers, and boost your profile by promoting your credential.
3. Immediately inform your supervisor, CEO, and HR manager of your new credential. Request letters from AFP to be emailed to announce your achievement. An Award Notification Request Form is included in your certificate package or can be found here.
4. Announce your new credential to your community. Use the FP&A credential press release template and send an announcement to industry publications and the business section of your local paper. The FP&A Press Release Template can be found here
5. Spread the word about FP&A certification. Do a brown bag presentation at work or your local chapter meeting. Customize the FP&A power point presentation for your needs and request FP&A Certification Candidate Guides from AFP to distribute at your meeting. Don't forget that FP&A presentations qualify for recertification credits. Download the presentation here.
6. Display your certificate in your office. AFP has partnered with The Award Group to make frames available for your certificate. : Approximately 6-8 weeks after meeting all of the requirements, newly certified FP&As will receive an email from our certificate partner, The Award Group. You will be able to verify your mailing address and confirm that the information on your certificate is correct. Certificates a mailed approximately 1-3 weeks after you have confirmed the information. You will receive an email when the certificate is mailed. As FP&A candidates are accepted in to the program before they have met or reported education and experience requirements, be sure to log in to your application to confirm that you have entered the necessary data and your education and experience requirements have been met.
7. Wear the FP&A pin at industry events. Order your complimentary FP&A Lapel Pin.
8. Include "FP&A certification required" or "FP&A certification preferred" when submitting requirements to fill positions within your company and/or writing job descriptions.
9. Refer an FP&A candidate. There is no better way to show commitment to your credential and the profession than by encouraging your colleagues to earn the FP&A. When you refer eligible colleagues to become certified, you: 1) Support them in their careers; 2) Help them improve efficiency and effectiveness by increasing their competency level; and 3) Elevate the profession.
10. Become a mentor. Help someone else earn the most respected credential in financial planning & analysis. You recognize the value of FP&A certification and the respect it commands in the industry. Do you know someone else who would benefit by becoming FP&A certified? Pass on the power of certification by becoming a mentor. Explain what professional certification can mean. Offer encouragement, answer questions, and share information about available resources to prepare for the exam.
11. Recertify. You've worked hard to earn your credential, make sure you hold on to it. Be sure to fulfill your recertification requirements so you can remain an FP&A professional throughout your career. Map out a plan to earn the continuing education credits you need to recertify and to stay up-to-date in the industry. For details regarding recertification requirements, please visit the AFP Online Recertification Resource Center.
12. Continue Your FP&A Development. Join your finance peers at conferences to develop your skills and stay ahead of upcoming trends. AFP's FinNext 2019 conference is a great place to start. Join your FP&A peers to exchange solutions to industry challenges and emerging technologies, and define the future of finance.
Sample Resume Language
The Certified Corporate Financial Planning & Analysis Professional ® (FP&A) designation is evidence that an individual is certified in corporate financial planning & analysis. The credential is awarded based upon education, experience and passing of a rigorous two-part examination that provides objective measure of an individual's broad-based knowledge and competency in financial planning & analysis. Ongoing professional development is required in order to maintain the credential. The FP&A credential is administered by the Association for Financial Professionals, the leading association for treasury and financial management professionals, with more than 16,000 members worldwide.
Current FP&A Candidates
Not certified yet? Use "Certified Corporate FP&A Professional Candidate" to distinguish your resume from the competition.